Friday, July 8, 2011

A Good Start to the Weekend

Our morning session started off with a guest speaker, Same Aurora. He is a Maryland delegate and came to speak to us about elections. He previously worked on several campaigns for democratic candidates like Hilary Clinton and knows pretty much how everything works.

He explained to us how everything in an election works. Like how when making commercials to either make your opponent look bad or convey to the public how you really are as a person. He showed several different examples of commercials that had underlying messages. Those were really cool because they could be interpreted in different ways.

Now I finally know how the electoral college works. In order to win, you must get at least 270 electoral votes out of 538. Of course, the most important state to win votes for is California because we have 54 electoral votes. Sam Aurora also taught us how to be strategic when campaigning whether it is reasonable to use your resources like money, people, and time there. The main question is: is it really helping your campaign? If no, then you would most likely want to pull out of the state or use your resources more wisely.

By the afternoon session my draft was done for my research paper. I handed it in before class started and was able to spend half of the class time reading for our assignment to be discussed on Monday and the other time I spent talking with my mother. I hadn't had a long conversation with her in a while because of the stress of writing my paper and staying up later. But now that they pressure was off for the 24 hours, I was able to relax and talk to her.

After our meeting with Mrs. L., Beilul and I went with an RA to see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban at the Museum of the Moving Image. The theater was really nice and it was good to see at least one of the Harry Potter movies while in New York since we cannot see the premier of the newest one. It was fun to talk with the RA, who will be attending Teaching School at Columbia after she works abroad in Austria for a year.

Tomorrow is a busy day. I won't spoil it by telling you what I plan on doing. All I know is that it's going to be a lot of fun. I will make sure I enjoy my last full Saturday in NYC!

No comments:

Post a Comment