Saturday, July 9, 2011

"Cultured"

Today was again, one of the best days of my life. It was amazing!

It started out with a subway ride at 8 AM in the morning to buy tickets to see The Phantom of the Opera. At first I was skeptical about going to see it, because it was at the same time as the Harry Potter Exhibit, but in the end I made the choice to see this Broadway production. We were the second ones in line and waited for 2 hours to get tickets for half off, which is a really good deal when you take into consideration that tickets are normal in the hundreds. Luckily, we all managed to get seats together which is very rare because they tickets they sell at Rush are tickets left over so they usually aren't all together.

We headed back to Columbia where the UPENN cohort was visiting! I hung out with Alex and Brian and wandered around campus for a while. It was nice to see Alex, a familiar face to me. It made me at ease because someone from home and one of my closest friends was there with me. AFter we joked around for a bit the group left to see Times Square and I retreated into my air conditioned room. Many people would be mad to know that I took a nap on a beautiful day in NYC. The truth is that after running around all over the place and staying up late for school work, your body runs out of energy. That's exactly what mine did. I crashed a good 4 hours and woke up to find myself something to eat and go to the play.

The play was by far one of the most amazing things I had ever seen. After watching the movie I was obsessed with trying to see the play and now it was right before my eyes. The acting was so good and their voices were phenomenal. What made this show different from other minor plays I had seen was the way it made you feel like you were in another world. I didn't feel like I was watching a play I felt like I was a part of it, taking in all of the emotions that the actors felt.

So, I guess I have taken step one in becoming "cultured". I do not regret going to see this instead of the Harry Potter exhibit. The two hours of waiting in the sun were definitely worth it! Tomorrow my trip to El Museo del Barrio was cancelled, so we'll see what other adventure I might get myself into!

No comments:

Post a Comment