Saturday, July 9, 2011

Long Shots and Long Nights

Future career discussions are always awkward for me. It's not because I'm indecisive or undecided. It's not because I have to many interests. It's because people say I swing for the fence.

"That's a little out of your reach," said someone today. Really? Granted, it is a stretch, a reach even--I'd agree to that. But, to say I can't reach it is an entirely different statement than I am unlikely to reach it.

It goes beyond doubt. It's more like a declaration of proposed failure to whom you are speaking to. And, that's a lot worse than a skeptical remark.

I don't quite understand the concept of pessimism. Sure, I get the definition of it, but I don't understand why people feel the need to apply it to their everyday life, especially when it comes to a life outside their own. Who dares to claim failure or success for the life of another? I think the only ones who can get away with that are parents, and even then they aren't appropriate.

So, whether I want to a doctor, or a lawyer, or a teacher, or an astronaut, or a researcher, or an engineer, or an architect, or an actor, or a singer, or a dancer, or an artist, or a chef, or anything else my heart desires, it should be free of judgement from the outside looking in. I'm the only one capable of making such an executive decision about my future and my life. And, that's why I'm bothered by such statements as, "I think that's a little out of your reach." I don't mind that they firmly believe what they say, but their audacity to say it astounds me, because that means that they feel the need to share their opinion as if it had any bearing or significance pertaining to what I felt, wanted to do, or thought.

Don't misinterpret me. I'm not angry at this guy. I'm not worried, or doubtful, or saddened. or discouraged, just thoughtful. But, it's interesting to talk about.

No matter how likely my chance at being what I want to be is, or will be, or was, I think I am perfectly within my own right to pursue such, if I so choose. So, when I say, "I want to run for President someday." I expect wary looks, but not doubtful comments.

It is a stretch, and many things need to happen (and not happen) along the way. But, it'll be fun to think about in the time between then and now. I think so, at least. It also happens to be one of the most effective motivators to not do anything stupid.

I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment