Saturday, July 2, 2011

Kirby

I'd like to begin a series of blog posts specifically focusing on my floor mates. There is something to gain from all of them--something that defines them in a positive way and allows for reflection unto myself to assess the validity in which I possess the same natural trait. Basically, what can I learn from them? Let's experiment.

Today, it's all about Kirby. He's fully Chinese, and he's from New Jersey--a small town kid. Kirby is interesting in that he is so normal. I've never seen such a unique attribute originate from an ill-unique style. I suppose what plays into that is the fact that everyone is trying to distinguish themselves from the rest of the group. Kirby's like the guy at the Halloween party without the costume, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Kirby's got this calm nature to him. In a sense, he's sort-of indifferent to most choices, but he has very reasonable, traditional limits. It's hard to define in a concrete way, so I'll provide an example. Say, another makes a joke about animal cruelty. While Kirby is perfectly comfortable allowing such conversation to take place, and capable of laughing with the group. He wouldn't be able to share in the enjoyment without a "that's bad," or "you shouldn't play around like that" in there somewhere. Again, there's nothing wrong with that. There should be someone there to draw the line, so-to-speak, for potentially sensitive or controversial topics.

I picked Kirby as the first person to blog about because he intrigued me most, and he did so indifferently as his personality would in itself suggest. He's a guy that thrives in group settings. He can pretty much get along with anybody and he's got a natural sense of daring, without the stereotypical thrill-seeker or daredevil persona attached. He's naturally comfortable with people and conversation no matter the topic, but he's not the type to let injustice go without warning.

He's a guy you'd just want to hang out with, because he knows how to keep his cool and keep a conversation cool. I admire Kirby. He's not without flaw, of course. He could come off as a bit nonchalant at the wrong time, or a bit boring in occasional settings, or even a bit apathetic in general. But, for the most part, he is a great addition to the floor, better than most.

As an exemplary bonus, he brought his poker set, which allows me to flex my skills to the entire floor. I can dig it.

He's got a "swag" without needing to openly express it. In a sense, he is the epitome of "being yourself," which is blatantly apparent in a sea of people who attempt to morph themselves into what they think society wants, rather than what they bring to society naturally. I don't exemplify that nearly as well as Kirby does. I'll work on it.

After much reflection and deliberation, Kirby gets an A.

Yes, I will be grading my floor mates.

Tune in tomorrow for my assessment of Ed, the British Bystander.

No comments:

Post a Comment