Friday, July 15, 2011

Almost Gone

On our last day of class, we continued our discussion of current president Barack Obama but also discussed library systems and reflected on our research papers. A 20 page paper is no small feat, Doc Z assured us. She also encouraged us to let her know which college or university we eventually matriculate to. Then, in the afternoon session we watched a fascinating movie called ‘Wag the Dog.’

Will, Milani and I with our Presidential Powers Teaching Assistant, Pavel.
Will, Milani and I with our professor, Doctor Zebrowski.

A nice trick I learned today was “rushing” Broadway (or off Broadway) shows by going to the ticket counter in either Chelsea Piers or Times Square and getting discounted ticket prices (usually 50% off) for shows that evening or the following morning (matinee).

This is the ticket stand we went to today:

Milani, Will, Eric, Mrs. Lilhanand and I bought tickets to see the Broadway musical Billy Elliot.

Billy Elliot is absolutely, positively amazing. The quality of the performers, especially the kids, and the set made it obvious why the show has won 10 Tony awards. The play, despite me having watched the movie many years ago, made me laugh and, during certain scenes, cry. It is such a powerful story and it was a great end to our stay in New York City.

I have now seen two Broadway shows: Billy Elliot and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Both shows were fantastic and I cannot wait to see more on my next trip to New York City.

Looking back on all the events and activities of this trip, I realized there is still so much that I didn’t do during my time in New York. The city is just so big and so exciting that 3 weeks is not nearly enough time to attend all that I would like to see. But, I definitely plan on coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment