Sunday, July 10, 2011

Work Hard Then Relax

Today was a very productive day. Not only did I manage to finish my paper, but I got to watch the Blue Man Group for the student rush price of $30.

After grabbing a quick breakfast right off campus with Milani, I returned to my dorm where I finished and proofread my paper. Having already started yesterday, I didn't make any changes to my thesis. Instead I spend the better part of the day supporting my thesis: the speech, racial or not, should be prohibited by the government if it presents a clear and present danger to society. From reading Irene's blog I learned that we're writing about the same topic, just taking different stances. While I believe that the government should have the power to regulate speech, which is supported by past Supreme Court decisions, Irene argues that because the first amendment says "Congress will make no law that...abridges free speech..." that the government shouldn't have the power to regulate speech. The one problem I have with Irene's argument is that, according to her belief it would be perfectly for someone to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theatre to cause mayhem. For society's safety government should be able to prohibit speech if it presents a "clear and present danger".

After I finished my paper, I used an hour of downtime to relax, eat pizza, and watch the last 30 minutes of a truly epic soccer match between the United States women and the Brazilian women with friends on my floor. While some find that soccer is a boring sport, I truly love to play and watch soccer. I found the game to be truly amazing because the Americans had led the Brazilians since the second minute, lost the lead due to a bogus red card and penalty kick, played a player short for 25 minutes tied at 1 until extra time. In extra time, two 15 minute halves, the Brazilians struck first and faked injuries over and over to burn time, which ironically brought their downfall. Because the several times the game stopped, the referee added three minutes of stoppage time in addition the second 15 minute half. In the second minute of stoppage time, as the announcer put it "At their death", the Americans tied the game with a brilliant cross and header, thus forcing the match to penalty kicks. Each of the five Americans converted the penalty and while the Brazilians missed one, sending the United States to the semi-finals.

Following the epic match, Milani, Beilul, and I went to watch the Blue Man Group. To be honest, I had no clue what the Blue Man Group was did. All I wanted to do was see a show in New York City for a reasonable price. We left at 6PM and student rushed for discounted tickets. Not knowing what to expect, I was surprised to see the variety of acts the group performed. Not only did they play a variety of drums, but they were quite good at acting, and very audience friendly. It was very cool to see the RA that took us to see the show, Ashley, get picked out of the crowd to participate in an act. While she claims that she had no clue what she was doing, she deserves kudos for following along, and at times joining in on the jokes.

After a really productive day, I'm ready to sleep and wake up fresh for tomorrow! It's hard to imagine that this time next week, I'll be back at home in Hercules. Man does time fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment